These Are A Few Of My Beautiful Things.
I spent a lot of time last night on Osemhen’s blog (eurekanaija) and this (you should read it and follow her blog) was one of my favorite posts. I certainly appreciate beauty in all of it’s forms. I appreciate good aesthetics and the beauty in the mundane and in nature.
Then there’s this TEDtalk delivered by Richard Seymour in which he explores the idea (and convinces me) that beauty is not in what we see, but what is felt. It is how images/music/people/moments make you feel in the gut. It is an amazing talk and you should watch it if you can.
Here are a few of the things that I remember feeling in my gut + a few other things that get me in the gut every single time:
(To prevent repetition, mentally add “it’s beautiful” to the end of every point)
- Waking up to hearing my parents’ laughter. They do this thing on weekends where they get up before us and just chat in the kitchen while my mum makes breakfast.
- Hearing my brother call me his sister. It’s something about the unmistakable pride in his voice. He’s my only sibling; it’s kind of a big deal.
- Rhodes‘ voice. Every single time.
- The first night I heard Joonie’s “Delilah”. It felt like the soul and melancholy filled the room. Melancholy sounds powerful at 1am.
- Walking home with my friend Damilola in Swansea after a late dinner with all the lights, talking and laughing without a care in the world, and just thinking “yes, this is what life is about”.
- Take off and landing. There’s something about arriving at my destination safely, something about hitting the ground again.
- The first minute or so on Skype (depending on how good your connection is) with my friends when everyone just smiles and waves and is excited to see each other.
- Looking at a picture just after taking it and realizing that the camera captured exactly what you saw in the moment.
- Writing a good sentence. Finally writing after a long stretch of writers block.
- Objects suspended in the air. Like these balloons for example
These are a few of my beautiful things. I would love to know what yours are. Let me know in the comments or write an entire post and send me a link!
Happy Thursday! (it’s almost Friday!)